Why is web browsing the iPhone so cool then? Well I can’t answer that question with certainty, as I don’t have access to an iPhone.
But I’ve seen a few videos on the subject and will list my thoughts. Feel free to post any things people feel really “make it”.
Powerful features to me are:
- Thumb scrolling
- Thumb zoom (seems awkward, but seems to work)
- Strong animation support throughout to give an “organic” feel. The animations are contextual and enhance the usability of the program.
- Orientation awareness
I think all these features are intrinsic to the iPhone user experience and are not peculiar to safari.
Other interesting features:
- Cool thumbable “multiple page” interface. (Tab substitute)
- “Full Screen” mode just seems to happen intuitively
- Search field “appears” when url field is focused
- I like the bookmarks “slide up”. Much smoother than traditional PPC menus.
I believe the “usability” of applications like this is going to be “expected” in the future. Software developers will really have to take this seriously in order to survive.
I still think Webby will still have much to offer, even in an iPhone world. Stay posted.